For more information on the living and working conditions for teachers in the regional areas of Queensland see The Teachers Are Blowing Their Whistles : The Regional Areas.
Some of the departmental housing provided for teachers in Woorabinda, Central Queensland, has been poorly designed, poorly constructed, poorly maintained and is insecure.
When the Woorabinda State School teachers returned to Woorabinda at the start of the 2018 school year, they found that their departmental accommodation had been broken into during the school holidays.
The department has now agreed to -
* fix striker plates to external doors.
* cage external lighting to prevent damage.
* install sensor lighting if it has not been currently installed.
* install security screening to windows and doors where it is missing
* relocate light switches so tenants can turn on the security lighting without having to go outside.
* repair the flashing on windows to prevent entry.
Brendan Grotty, P.12, Queensland teachers' Journal, Volume 123 Number 3, 13 April 2018